[erlang-questions] Silent install of Erlang on Windows / Mac

Dave Cottlehuber dave@REDACTED
Mon Nov 29 22:33:25 CET 2010

On 30 November 2010 05:51, Peter Zerfass
<extern.4plus.zerfass.p@REDACTED> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to find out if there is a way to install Erlang silently on
> Mac (OSX) and Windows (XP, 7). We're developing a software that may
> use
> RabbitMQ as a message queue system (which requires Erlang to be
> installed on the server side). However the technicians would like to
> minimize the number of installation steps.
>
> How would one go about installing Erlang without the Installer (i.e.
> how would we integrate the installation procedure of Erlang into our
> own
> installer)?
>
> THX
>   Peter Zerfass

For windows here's some options.

Include the released erlang win32 precompiled binary, and run this
monolithic silent install stage within your custom app installer. You
can also set the install directory with this approach. More info
http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Docs/Chapter3.html#3.2.1 as Erlang is
packaged using the NSIS tool.

Alternatively build your erlang from scratch & then include your app's
extra bits under the created file structure "./release/win32/" in your
custom app installer. When you install your app, you'll need first to
do "Install.exe -s" to set erlang up before doing anything further.
This is the tidiest but involves a reasonable amount of mess to get
the installer working. A quicker but possibly not clean approach would
be to install erlang, removing the two erl.ini files which to my
knowledge are the only changes "install.exe -s" actually makes, as a
way of avoiding building erlang from scratch.

Cheers
Dave