Is Erlang dynamic language?

Andrey Paramonov andrey.paramonov@REDACTED
Mon Nov 29 21:41:07 CET 2010

Greetings.

Erlang is definitely a dynamically typed language. But is it a dynamic
language? I see that the term itself is not what all developers agree
on - there is a whole discussion on Wikipedia about that (http://
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Dynamic_programming_language).

Many people associate dynamic languages with metaprogramming, runtime
method injection, AST transformations and the like. As far as I can
tell, there is no such things in Erlang. But on the other hand, Erlang
has runtime code update and you can change runtime behaviour by
passing functions to the methods. So it seems to be dynamic.

What do you think guys? Would you consider Erlang dynamic? and why?

Andrey