[erlang-questions] Convincing industry to use Erlang

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Sat Nov 27 19:47:01 CET 2010

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 6:51 PM, Banibrata Dutta
<banibrata.dutta@REDACTED> wrote:
> As Alain rightly said, Joe you just managed to condense couple of books, and
> I'd say a semester's worth of study on Solution Selling and Agile
> development.

Funny thing is that I haven't got a clue what all this agile and scrum stuff is.
Somebody did describe agile to me and I thought "that's what we've
being doing for years"
- I *do* know that the word "agile" has magic powers when used against
management.
And "the value proposition is ..." - this is also a magic expression.

Say: "the value proposition is that instead of spending time and money on a
paper specification, why not use less money to build a working
prototype and use
the code as the specification ..."

On several occasions I've seen people just start work on a project
without prior approval
doing the work in their spare time, they just assumed that they would
get the job and that
a contract was something that would just "happen" if they did the right thing.

Actually basic psychology is involved - if you work on their project
for free and give them
the results this is a "present" that they did not expect nor ask for.
Basic human nature
expects some kind of response - this is what Cialdini calls
"reciprocity" (read "The psychology of persuasion") there is a
wikipedia reference here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Cialdini#Six_.22Weapons_of_Influence.22

If you do a lot of work for free they reciprocate with a contract ...

/Joe