[erlang-questions] Erlang shows its slow face!

Morten Krogh mk@REDACTED
Mon Nov 15 22:51:30 CET 2010

Hi again,

The py3R can be made to have a much better check on the bounds of the lists.
Also, you should use that the triples are symmetric so {A,B,C} can be
replaced with {B,A,C}.

py5R(N)->
     lists:sort(lists:flatten([[{A,B,C}, {B,A,C}] ||
     A <- lists:seq(1, N div 2),
      B <- lists:seq(A + 1, max(A, N*(N-2*A) div (2*(N-A)))),
      C <- [trunc(math:sqrt(A * A + B * B))],
              A + B + C =< N,
      A*A + B*B =:= C*C])).

the max(..,..) is really stupid, but I learnt something new about
erlang, namely that

lists:seq(10,8), for example, produces an exception, whereas
lists:seq(10,9) = []

if lists:seq(A,B) = [] for A > B, the max above could have been removed.

Morten.