[erlang-questions] Lots of pre-built stuff in otp_src_R14B.tar.gz

Thu Nov 11 13:21:30 CET 2010

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 02:48:13PM +0300, Peter Lemenkov wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> I just found that tarball with sources for R14B contains pre-built
> *.beam files. Is it intentional?

Oh yes.

It is needed for the bootstrap process; roughly;
first the Virtual Machine is built, then it is used
together with the pre-built *.beam files to form
a small Erlang system capable of compiling the
essential parts of the release e.g the stdlib,
kernel and the compiler. Then this newly built
system is used to compile the rest of the release.