[erlang-questions] Actor garbage collection

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Thu Nov 4 22:45:17 CET 2010

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 3:46 PM, Tony Hannan <tonyhannan2@REDACTED> wrote:
> Thanks guys. It would be nice, although I know its hard in a distributed
> setting, but there is research on it. See
> http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=distributed+actor+garbage+collection

The main problem in a distributed setting is node failure -
if you have dangling references (ie references to nodes that have
failed) things become *incredibly* difficult - we realised this in
1985 :-) - that's why erlang processes copy messages between processes
- so that remote processes have no dangling data references. Now the
problem is no longer hard but reduces to
local node collections.

/Joe