[erlang-questions] non-trivial supervisor idioms? -- An open-source plea!

Edmond Begumisa ebegumisa@REDACTED
Wed Nov 3 07:30:31 CET 2010

Hi Thomas, Attila,

It's true that every language suffers when running larger projects, or
rather every language environment suffers (e.g Erlang and it's
environment). But they tend to suffer differently. Each language environ
develops it's own unique problems and proposed solutions as projects grow
in size. Ulf's included applications background story is a case in point.

When a language environment is more wide spread, say Java, it's easier for
programmers who are migrating from a different environment, say C++/boost,
to do research on how to deal with/avoid those problems simply because
there is so much open source code (good and bad) and literature out there
(good and bad).

As someone who has migrated from other environments to Erlang, I've found
it harder to do the research, even on something as basic as breaking a
program up into smaller chunks. This can get frustrating. More experienced
Erlang programmers obviously have their solutions to this, but for some
reason it is extremely difficult for relative newcomers to discover tried
and tested good practices that won't lead to trouble down the road.

Another plea I'd like to make is for more experienced Erlang programmers
to blog. Erlang blogasphere seems to have been hijacked by newcomers who
are overconfident of their abilities and tend to give questionable advice.
The problem is, to other newcomers, they are the voice of Elrang.

- Edmond -

PS: I've looked at the book preview "OTP in Action", it seems to be
addressing this sort of thing.