utf-8 PB

Jean-Yves F. Barbier <>
Wed Jun 16 16:53:31 CEST 2010

Debian sid
erlang-base-hipe 1:13.b.4-dfsg-6

Hi list,

I'm brand new to Erlang, and fighting with UTF-8 display.

On command line, an io:format("~ts~n", ["âèéàçöô"]). works perfectly,
however into a module it don't work at all:
start() ->
   Label = "âèéàçöô",
   io:format("~ts~n", [Label]).
returns: âèéàçöô

iconv the erl file from utf8 to iso8859-1 didn't changed anything.

I read a lot, and saw there's unicode:xxx orders, but examples aren't
talking to me and I don't understand very much how it works.

I also need to display utf8 right into wxerlang (and don't see how to
do that either)

Don't let people drive you crazy when you know it's in walking distance.