[erlang-questions] Parallel Make in OTP

Jachym Holecek freza@REDACTED
Mon Jan 11 16:06:30 CET 2010

# Dave Smith 2010-01-11:
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 4:25 AM, Jachym Holecek <freza@REDACTED> wrote:
> >
> > I recently learnt about rebar[*]. It's a native Erlang solution and
> > looks pretty promising so far, although the documentation amounts to
> > UTSL at this point. I didn't yet have a chance to get to know it more
> > intimately, but that will come sooner or later. Anyway, always nice
> > to see your dreams come true meanwhile you were dreaming. :-)
>
> Actually the source repo for rebar is at:
>
> http://bitbucket.org/basho/rebar

Thank you & Tuncer for clarifications. I went with whatever URL there
was in firefox at the moment.

> It's not exactly a secret project as I'll be talking about it at
> Erlang Factory this year, but it is still pretty young yet. I think,
> in the context of this thread, that rebar is probably not well suited
> (and may not ever be) to building the Erlang/OTP base distribution.

My understanding was that Peter was talking about a tool that would
deal with whole project lifetime and that it could be assumed target
systems had certain version of OTP already available? This just needs
to be able to use different versions of OTP system and local apps on
the machines, in addition to talking to some version control system.

> It's more geared for building Erlang projects and relies heavily on
> conventions for OTP apps and releases. It does build port drivers and
> such, but that's a different ball game than building a cross platform,
> large-scale C project. :)

Yep, but see above. It seemed like that was something one could teach
rebar about without too much pain?

Regards,
	-- Jachym