Possible hostname handling bug in node handshake procedure?

Maas-Maarten Zeeman mmzeeman@REDACTED
Tue Nov 24 09:47:05 CET 2009

Today I stumbled upon some strange behavior when using net_adm:ping.
I  was trying to connect two machines, buka  and Edo on the same lan,
but it just would get them to talk to each other. Net_adm:ping worked
in one way only. Normal ping worked both ways, double checked if there
where firewall rules. I even looked at the network packets, which I
could see arriving at both ends. Then it slowly dawned on me. One of
the hosts has a hostname with a capital in it. so I tried to the exact
name. It worked...

Here is what happens.

(a@REDACTED)1> net_adm:ping(b@REDACTED).
**long wait**
pang
(a@REDACTED)2> net_adm:ping(b@REDACTED).
pong

In both situations the network packets arrive at b@REDACTED To me it looks
like there is a case sensitivity problem with the hostname handling in
the  handshake procedure.

(a@REDACTED)51> net_adm:ping(a@REDACTED).
pong
(a@REDACTED)52> net_adm:ping(a@REDACTED).
pang

Shouldn't both calls return pong as hostnames should normally be
treated as case insensitive strings?

Kind regards,

Maas-Maarten Zeeman