[erlang-questions] my mnesia is lazy

Steve Kirsch steve.kirsch@REDACTED
Fri May 8 18:25:01 CEST 2009

well, this is really a common problem that really should be fixed.

i ran into the same thing.

you start mnesia and then you put your laptop to sleeep or do nothing.

you come back the next day, open your laptop and you find mnesia
complains about being overloaded.

It basically is because you didn't do any transactions for a day.

It has nothing to do with being overloaded and mnesia should
differentiate this case.

when i was a newbie to erlang, this is one of the first things i tried
and i was appalled that this highly touted reliable erlang system with
this really cool rock solid database called mnesia could be overloaded
when no transactions were sent.

Gosh, I thought, if it's overloaded with no transactions, i wonder how
it performs when asked to do real work?

It did cause me to think twice at the time about using erlang for
anything serious.

Of course, now that i understand the history (and the fact that only 1/2
a person works on maintaining mnesia), this makes more sense.

still, this is a very misleading error message that should be fixed to