[erlang-questions] Erlang Reading/Writing /dev/modem?

Keith Irwin keith.irwin@REDACTED
Wed May 6 19:13:56 CEST 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Ferenc Holzhauser <
ferenc.holzhauser@REDACTED> wrote:

> Indeed, Richard is right. Reading/writing the serial device is usually not
> enough.
> After looking into different options to talk to my modem from Erlang,I
> ended up using pyserial.
> It is a cross platform and simple to use python module.
> The Erlang communication could be a port or a socket.

For my purposes, I ended up not needing to use Erlang at all. Pyserial and a
tiny Python script worked just fine. In the production context, someone else
will be managing the dialup to IP conversion, so all I needed was a little
script to test with so that I didn't have to edit, compile,
negotiate-with-ops-team, test.

Anyway, Richard, thanks for the Pyserial tip! Worked great.

Keith