[erlang-questions] Sending messages to multiple processes?

Davide Marquês <>
Fri May 1 03:37:37 CEST 2009

Hi Kevin,

Is there a neato idiom for sending a single message to multiple
> processes, up to say 200, or do I just need to loop it?

No "idiom" that I'm aware of.
You can use the pg module to group a bunch of processes together and
send them messages via the group name. Info:

I also need to know they finished processing the message.  Is this the
> wrong road to go down?

That's just a matter of sending the "master process" Pid to the
workers/slaves when they are started and having then report back when
they're done.

> Basically I'm starting 200 processes, reading in a single file, and each
> process is fed the same line of the file one by one until the end, but
> they all handle it differently, and when they have finished all the
> lines, they spit out a modified file, and return a value to indicate
> they are finished.

For this simple case you can stick to your own master/slave processes. :)