[erlang-questions] Getting support for X.692 in the asn1 application OR "If not ASN.1, then what?"

Cameron Kerr ckerr@REDACTED
Fri May 1 00:04:59 CEST 2009

Would ASN.1's ECN (Explicit Coding Notation) work for this?

Not sure if that is supported by the asn1 module either... if not,
then Erlang's binary support should be pretty useful.

On 30/04/2009, at 8:59 PM, Torben Hoffmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking into finding efficient ways of dealing with legacy
> protocols and during that I found the X.692 standard:
> http://www.itu.int/rec/dologin_pub.asp?lang=e&id=T-REC-X.692-200203-S!PDF-E&type=items
> http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/asn1/database/itu-t/x/x692/2002/index.html
>
> The ASN.1 compiler barfs on the ELM and EDM modules since X.692 is
> not supported by the asn1 application.
>
> What are the chances of X.692 being supported by the asn1 application?
>
> A aside: no matter how fun it really is to code Erlang nothing beats
> getting a pair of encode-decode functions for free.
>
> BTW: the key need I am trying to address is the ability to specify
> the PDUs of an arbitrarily weird protocol (mostly telecom ones) and
> then get a codec for it. ASN.1 is not a holy grail for me and other
> good technologies will be looked at if you suggest it.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Torben

Cameron Kerr <ckerr@REDACTED>
Teaching Fellow, Computer Science, University of Otago