[erlang-questions] Analysing an Erlang file

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Wed Jun 17 16:10:15 CEST 2009

This should get you started ...

Use epp:file to parse the erlang, then a list comprehension to yank
out the stuff you
are interested in.

Like this:

test() ->
    {ok, L} = epp:parse_file("elib1_misc.erl",[],[]),
    [{{Name,Arity},length(Clauses)} || {function,_,Name,Arity,Clauses} <- L].

> test().
[{{test,0},1},
 {{added_files,2},1},
 {{complete,2},1},
 {{dos2unix,1},3},
 {{downcase_char,1},2},
 {{downcase_str,1},1},
 {{dump,2},1},
 {{duplicates,1},1},
 {{duplicates,2},4},

This is a bit "quick and dirty" since you need to know the internal
syntax of the abstract forms -

I suggest you define

dump(File, Term) ->
    Out = File ++ ".tmp",
    io:format("** dumping to ~s~n",[Out]),
    {ok, S} = file:open(Out, [write]),
    io:format(S, "~p.~n",[Term]),
    file:close(S).

then evaluate

dump("foo", epp:parse_file(File, [], [])).

Then stare hard at foo.tmp and all the secrets of the Erlang masters
will be revealed :-)

(note dump/2 is *very* useful for inspecting large data structures - I
use it all the time)

/Joe