Is it safe to use both 5.7.0 and 5.7.1 VMs in one cluster?

Sergey Samokhin prikrutil@REDACTED
Sun Jul 19 21:11:36 CEST 2009

Hello!

Is it safe to build an erlang cluster from aplications running under
different VMs: say, 5.7.1 and 5.7.0?

Let's suppose that I don't make use any specific features introduced
in 5.7.1. The only things I'm interested in are communication by using
standard RPC functions, mnesia compatibility (e.g. will using
transactions still be safe when working in 	 in such a "heterogeneous"
cluster?) and standard net_kernel features set. Will there be any
problems if I decide to mix VMs with different versions?

Programming Erlang book says that we should avoid doing that: "Make
sure that both systems have the same version of the code <skipped> And
the same version of Erlang. If you don’t do this, you’ll get serious
and mysterious errors."

Buy I've heard that there is backward compatibility between the two
latest major releases.

Thanks.

--
Sergey Samokhin