[erlang-questions] Re: Distributions of Erlang-coded SW on Windows (really)

Claes Wikstrom klacke@REDACTED
Wed Aug 19 14:20:34 CEST 2009

Bjorn Gustavsson wrote:

> The Wings3D application has an NSIS-based installer for Windows.

Similarly, Yaws now has a proper win32 installer. I use

InstallBuilder http://bitrock.com/ which is free (as in beer)
for open source projects and (cheap - again as in beer)
for commercial projects.

Trick I used was to write a small exec wrapper ala...

# cat yaws.c

    if(CreateProcess(0, execString, NULL, NULL, FALSE, 0, 0, 0, &si, &pi))
         {
             unsigned long ret = 0;

             // wait for process to finish
             WaitForSingleObject(pi.hProcess, INFINITE);
             if (GetExitCodeProcess(pi.hProcess, &ret) == 0)
                 ret = 1;
             CloseHandle(pi.hProcess);
             CloseHandle(pi.hThread);
             return ret;
         }

See http://github.com/klacke/yaws/blob/d9c2d32e2dfad0c8710c134ba261a5dfa82c73c7/win32/yaws.c

For Yaws I chose to invoke erl from the path, for software I wrote at tail-f I invoke
erl that get's installed together with my app.

/klacke