[erlang-questions] Re: Distributions of Erlang-coded SW on Windows (really)

Bjorn Gustavsson bgustavsson@REDACTED
Fri Aug 14 15:30:23 CEST 2009

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 10:40 AM, Michael Turner<leap@REDACTED> wrote:

>>> What's the best way to distribute Erlang powered, proprietary and
>>> non-proprietary, softwares?
>>
>>The best way is to have a product that is so awesome that people give
>>you money even though you have fully it open source and receive
>>patches to make it even more awestruck. Nobody can argue with that.
>
> I can: I don't want to run "awestruck" software, I want to run
> *awesome* software.  Last time I ran some "awestruck" software, I
> ended up having to reboot.
>
> Look, this was a serious question about packaging, not quality or, for
> that matter, open source ideology.  And that should have been clear
> enough from the context.  It's a question worthy of an answer.

The Wings3D application has an NSIS-based installer for Windows. The
scripts used to package Wings3D and build the installer would need
be modified to be used for another application, but they could serve
as a useful starting point.

The Wings3D source code can be found here:

http://github.com/bjorng/wings

The relevant part is the the win32 target in the top Makefile, and the
directories tools and win32.

/Bjorn