[erlang-questions] Appmon not starting under ubuntu linux

Edwin Fine erlang-questions_efine@REDACTED
Sat Sep 27 21:19:55 CEST 2008

Dan,

appmon uses graphics, which need X. In Windows, graphics are built in so you
need nothing special. I assume you are not logged in as superuser.

Try the following:

$ xterm

If you see an xterm, your appmon should have worked. If you get an error
message, there are two things I can think of off the top of my head that
might not be set up correctly.

Is your DISPLAY variable set correctly? I am assuming that this is a local
Linux box and that you are not using ssh or telnet to a remote box. If you
are, that's another story.

Try setting DISPLAY as follows:

$ export DISPLAY=:0.0

Then try the xterm again. If it STILL doesn't work, there may be X authority
problems. Try this:

$ xhost +

Warning: this is a security risk, allowing any X system access to your box.
But we'll only be doing this for a moment and I assume you are behind a
firewall.

Now try xterm again. If it works, appmon should work too.

To make this work without having to open up using xhost +, Google xauth and
Xauthority and ensure you have a ~/.Xauthority file set up correctly.

Hope this helps. If you are still stuck, please post what happened above
with xterm when you try it.