[erlang-questions] Problems cross-compiling OTP on ARM

Mikael Pettersson mikpe@REDACTED
Fri Sep 26 19:15:53 CEST 2008

Matthias Lang writes:
 > On Friday, September 26, Corrado Santoro wrote:
 >
 > > The strange thing is that I've disabled hipe (./configure
 > > --disable_hipe), but it seems that hipe is still considered?
 >
 > You've pretty much figured it out: --disable_hipe would more accurately
 > be --disable_some_parts_of_hipe_but_not_others_which_is_fine_unless_you're_cross_compiling_in_which_case_its_a_bit_of_a_pain

The reason for that is that dialyzer for reasons I don't know/remember
uses parts of HiPE, and it was decided (jointly by the dialyzer group
and OTP) to keep parts of HiPE even if --disable-hipe is in effect so
that dialyzer can work.

I don't think the cross-compilation scenario was ever mentioned in
those discussions.

/Mikael