[erlang-questions] Erlang/YAWS vs Free Pascal/Xitami

David-Sarah Hopwood david.hopwood@REDACTED
Thu Mar 27 05:32:31 CET 2008

Michael Campbell wrote:
> Jilani Khaldi wrote:
>
>> stupid typing errors that in scripted language will easily pass and they
>> are very difficult to track later.
>
> I see this charge levied often, but have YET to see a single blog post, nor
> talk to anyone who actually codes in a dynamic language point to a single
> "difficult to track" bug that was due to a mis-used type.

I think Jilani meant typos, rather than errors due to misused types.

Most dynamically typed or "scripting" languages will catch most instances
of identifier typos before run-time. There are some (not Erlang), that get
it egregiously wrong, though: in Javascript/ECMAScript, for instance, a typo
in a variable name will typically either cause a silently incorrect creation
of a global variable (if on the LHS of an assignment), or result in a
silently incorrect 'undefined' value.

--
David-Sarah Hopwood