[erlang-questions] separators before end

Dustin Sallings dustin@REDACTED
Thu Sep 20 01:11:01 CEST 2007

On Sep 19, 2007, at 15:36 , Minsloc Tarren wrote:

> *1) i really liked ruby in that matter, and i would never use
> python because only idiot - sorry, Guido - would use whitespace in
> other way than as word-separator. I'm willing to accept any
> sensible community standard for indentation, but this is whitespace
> fascism ;-).
>
> if you wanna have some fun : http://mail.python.org/pipermail/
> python-list/2003-January/183048.html (third thing on goole under
> python tab), and exactly why i never tried python - not even when
> they started hyping about django.

	Please don't take someone's annoyance with an aspect of this
language to start a flamewar about another.

	In this case, people who use erlang a lot aren't terribly bothered
by treating ; and , as separators.  The question is whether it's a
barrier to entry, and how big of a barrier it is.

	In python's case, the only people who complain about whitespace are
people who haven't used it (although they usually don't go as far as
to call the creator an idiot on a completely unrelated list).

--
Dustin Sallings