[erlang-questions] separators before end

Minsloc Tarren minsloc@REDACTED
Thu Sep 20 00:36:32 CEST 2007

On 9/19/07, attila.rajmund.nohl@REDACTED <
attila.rajmund.nohl@REDACTED> wrote:

> No need to force, just allow. For example let's say I have a case
> statement like this:
> case SomeVar of
>         1 -> do_something;
>         2 -> do_otherthing
> end,
>
> Then I realize that I need to handle the value of 3 also, so I just add
> a line:
> case SomeVar of
>         1 -> do_something();
>         2 -> do_other thing()
>         3 -> do_some_other_thing()

well, most of the time i do it automatically (<END> <;> <ENTER> <PASTE>).
and even in times i forgot, it never occured to me that a perfectly logical
language standard should be changed because of my mistake ...

end,

> and I get compilation error. Actually this is the most common
> compilation error I receive. If erlang would allow syntax like this:
> case SomeVar of
>         1 -> do_something;
>         2 -> do_otherthing;
> end,
>
> I wouldn't get these error messages. It's _really_ annoying.

just look at it that whats annoying in that case is you forgetfulness. and
no, i'm not saying that having a bit more flexible syntax is wrong *1),but
it seems to me as too much of a hassle to change a language standard so you
could just copy and paste more easily. but if you really wanna change this,
just go ahead and write an EEP. If during the proces of writing it you wont
come to the conclusion that it is unnecessary, maybe you can convince the
people whose opinions in that matter really counts.

http://www.erlang.org/eeps/eep-0001.html

                                Bye,NAR
> --
> "Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not
>   tried it."

*1) i really liked ruby in that matter, and i would never use python because
only idiot - sorry, Guido - would use whitespace in other way than as
word-separator. I'm willing to accept any sensible community standard for
indentation, but this is whitespace fascism ;-).

if you wanna have some fun :
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2003-January/183048.html (third
thing on goole under python tab), and exactly why i never tried python - not
even when they started hyping about django.