[erlang-questions] I want documentation of Erlang in EDoc format

Richard Carlsson richardc@REDACTED
Wed Sep 5 12:30:37 CEST 2007

Kirill Zaborski wrote:
> May I ask what were the reasons of such separation?
> Are there any problems with edoc?
> Doctool supplied with the language and not used by the authors of this
> language - it seems quite suspicious to me :)

Not at all. The OTP documentation was first written (first using
SGML, now XML) long before edoc was created, and there has been
no reason to try to change the format. Edoc is targeted at getting
the documentation into the source code right from the start, and
make it easy to keep up to date. The OTP docs are written in
traditional style as a large and complex set of documents, with
professional writers working on them. Nowadays, OTP are using
edoc to extract documentation from those source files that contain
it (and then process it a bit to fit better in the OTP layout style),
but most of the documentation remains in XML, and it is probably not
worth the time and effort to move it into the source files.

     /Richard