[erlang-questions] The meaning of OTP...

KatolaZ me@REDACTED
Mon Jul 16 20:42:55 CEST 2007

On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 06:59:24PM +0200, Lennart ?hman wrote:
> Hi,
> without even having read the thread :-) I think that one does not have to try
> to reinvent such acronyms. It is not uncommon that a company or "thing" becomes
> the acronym and what it really was a short for becomes irrelevant.
>
> CD (Compact Disc). It certainly still is a disc, but not very compact with todays
> standards.
> IBM (International Business Machines). I dont think anyone now days says that IBM
> is mainly a hardware company.

The matter is that OTP is not going to become as popular as CDs and
IBM, ar at least it is not going to in the next ten years :-)

I think that Francesco pointed out a serious issue. The risk of
considering Erlang/OTP as a platform suitable only for
"telecommunication" apps is over the corner, and can scare many
programmers which could exploit Erlang capabilities in many other
fields.

The first time I told a friend that we were working on a robot driven
by Erlang, he wispered "But Erlang is just for telecom! Why don't you
use Lisp or Haskell. They would fit your task better...". And many
many people think at Erlang that way, nowadays.

HND

Enzo

--
[ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ --- GLUG Catania -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ me [at] katolaz.homeunix.net -- http://katolaz.homeunix.net -- ]