[erlang-questions] The meaning of OTP...

igwan igwan@REDACTED
Tue Jul 17 00:05:15 CEST 2007

Hi,

Well, I don't think people are going to stay away from a language
because it has Telecom in its name. After all, the "Erlang" name in
itself also carries the "Telecom" idea (if not the well-known unit used
for telecom traffic, it's the Er = Ericsson = Telecom again in the mind
of people), why not change the whole name then ?
To the contrary, I think people have an idea of robustness and
reliability when they think of telecoms (the good old and always working
PSTN phone lines as opposed to the big unreliable internet :) and in the
mind of programmers you can add fault-tolerance and distribution they
've been dreaming about all of their career :) Coming from the telecom
industry my objectiveness may be flawed here :) , but IMAO, Erlang
should not dismiss its telecom heritage, it's all but a turn-off.
Explain people it's certainly not limitating the possible applications
and show them what can be done ! I'm sure we're gonna have some killer
apps as the best proofs soon. One doesn't have to explain the OTP
acronym every where after all. It is a fantastic tool -and the only one
for now- for structuring a complex application, it will never be too
late to change the name when someone comes with a different/better
framework.
Just my two (euro)-cents

igwan