[erlang-questions] program: wxWidgets for erlang (again)

Dan Gudmundsson dgud@REDACTED
Fri Dec 21 12:09:42 CET 2007

Bob Cowdery wrote:
> Dan
>
> This looks really good. I have quite a large Swing GUI that I would like
> to convert. I wonder are there any getting started guides. I did find a
> PDF but it was for an earlier version as the API was completely
> different. I'm running XP and have it all loaded except I'm clearly
> doing something (or many things) wrong. At the moment I can't get as far
> showing a frame! If I do something like.
>
> wx:new().
> F = wxFrame:new().
> wxFrame:show(F).
>
> It throws an invalid argument exception. I tried various other things
> but just got different results. Any help in getting off the ground
> appreciated.

I don't have any more documentation or tutorials then what is in
package, but the test programs and demos (erltop and xrc) should get
you started. And they should work at least start, they are demos so not
everything is implemented. Ok the opengl tests may crash depending on
drivers, i.e. when running several windows they crash on my win2000
laptop. But that's life with 3D rendering I guess.

Otherwise you will have read documentation and or tutorials from
http://www.wxwidgets.org
The tutorials should be easy to convert from C++ to erlang, I've tried
to describe the erlang mapping on the overview page in the docs dir.
or here http://www.erlang.org/~dgud/wxerlang/doc/index.html

I don't know that much about wxwidgets I know the erlang binding but not
wxwidgets, I guess that comes with experience, their documentation isn't
the best either.

> The other thing I noticed is that after starting 'erl -smp' it no longer
> shuts down cleanly with Ctrl'C' but brings up a debug window.

Thanks, I'll try to reproduce it.

/Dan