[erlang-questions] Project: Adobe release AMF3 specification for Flash/Flex - Joe's SP1 #9

G Bulmer gbulmer@REDACTED
Fri Dec 14 02:58:14 CET 2007

Thank you for the suggestions Roberto. I should have been clearer; I
am more interested in server-push, than client-pull.

> On Dec 13, 2007 7:42 PM, G Bulmer <gbulmer@REDACTED> wrote:
>> Adobe has released a spec for Action Message Format -- AMF3
>> http://download.macromedia.com/pub/labs/amf/amf3_spec_121207.pdf
>>
>> There is some helpful documents already at http://osflash.org/
>> documentation too, but it's nice to have the definitive spec.
>>
>> Further, Adobe say they will be releasing BlazeDS, the Java source
>> of the server components early 2008:
>> http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/blazeds/
>> Hopefully, this will include a nice test suite.
>>
>> So, it is becoming much easier to achieve Joe's SP1 point 9
>>> 9 ++++ interface to flash using flex 2. Solve the GUI problem
>>> once and
>>> for all as follows
>>>
>>>       repeat after me: client = flash in the browser, server =
>>> erlang.
>>> Intermediate protocol = flash AMF
>>>

> I still don't agree, but let's not discuss this here again ...
>

>> It's not that I dislike HTTP/HTML. I agree with pretty much all of
>> the benefits, but you can build some lovely client user interfaces in
>> Flex/AIR e.g. http://about.buzzword.com/ and it appears to be quicker
>> to build and test (on a range of relevant platforms) than browser-
>> hosted JavaScript-based apps.
>>
>> I'd be *very* interested in an *Open Source* implementation of an
>> Erlang AMF server.
>
> There are actually at least two Erlang open source implementations of
> AMF encoder / decoders:
>
> eswf:
> http://eswf.googlecode.com
I did look at this, but the page says "Currently, eswf implements a
small subset of Flash 8 SWF tags and ActionScript bytecode"
Which didn't sound like it had got very far.
Are you saying it is well along?

> Flash RTMP streaming server (not working yet, but has AMF encoder/
> decoder):
> http://erlyvideo.googlecode.com
This is new to me. Thank you. My impression from http://osflash.org/
documentation was that RTMP supports server-push to work with Flash
AMF. Is that not the case?

> both projects allow you easily (technically and license-wise) to
> extract the AMF encoder/decoder so you can put it into the Erlang web
> server of your choice !
I want to *push* from the server to the client, so I assume a web
server isn't the right place to start (unless that is how server-push
works for AMF, which is not the impression I got, so you may be
telling me something critical that had passed me by).

> If you look for a flash remoting protocol which just works out of the
> box with yaws, and if it has not necessarily to be AMF/AMF3, then you
> could use also yaws HaxeRemoting:
> http://yaws.hyber.org/haxe_intro.yaws
AFAIK, this is client-pull, not server-push. Is that correct?

G Bulmer