[erlang-questions] Project: Adobe release AMF3 specification for Flash/Flex - Joe's SP1 #9

Roberto Saccon rsaccon@REDACTED
Fri Dec 14 00:53:36 CET 2007

On Dec 13, 2007 7:42 PM, G Bulmer <gbulmer@REDACTED> wrote:
> Adobe has released a spec for Action Message Format -- AMF3
> http://download.macromedia.com/pub/labs/amf/amf3_spec_121207.pdf
>
> To quote: "Action Message Format (AMF) is a compact binary format
> that is used to serialize
> ActionScript object graphs. Once serialized an AMF encoded object
> graph may be used
> to persist and retrieve the public state of an application across
> sessions or allow two
> endpoints to communicate through the exchange of strongly typed data."
>
> There is some helpful documents already at http://osflash.org/
> documentation too, but it's nice to have the definitive spec.
>
> Further, Adobe say they will be releasing BlazeDS, the Java source of
> the server components early 2008:
> http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/blazeds/
> Hopefully, this will include a nice test suite.
>
> So, it is becoming much easier to achieve Joe's SP1 point 9
> > 9 ++++ interface to flash using flex 2. Solve the GUI problem once and
> > for all as follows
> >
> >       repeat after me: client = flash in the browser, server = erlang.
> > Intermediate protocol = flash AMF

I still don't agree, but let's not discuss this here again ...

> It's not that I dislike HTTP/HTML. I agree with pretty much all of
> the benefits, but you can build some lovely client user interfaces in
> Flex/AIR e.g. http://about.buzzword.com/ and it appears to be quicker
> to build and test (on a range of relevant platforms) than browser-
> hosted JavaScript-based apps.
>
> I'd be *very* interested in an *Open Source* implementation of an
> Erlang AMF server.

There are actually at least two Erlang open source implementations of
AMF encoder / decoders:

eswf:
http://eswf.googlecode.com

Flash RTMP streaming server (not working yet, but has AMF encoder/decoder):
http://erlyvideo.googlecode.com

both projects allow you easily (technically and license-wise) to
extract the AMF encoder/decoder so you can put it into the Erlang web
server of your choice !

If you look for a flash remoting protocol which just works out of the
box with yaws, and if it has not necessarily to be AMF/AMF3, then you
could use also yaws HaxeRemoting:
http://yaws.hyber.org/haxe_intro.yaws

> I realise process-one have a commercial product, and I'm not anti-
> commercial products. I encourage customer's to pay for commercial
> support for production deployment, but I like low-cost/free
> development, test, demo and 'bootstrap' environments that run on
> laptops too.
>
> G Bulmer

Roberto Saccon
http://rsaccon.com