[erlang-questions] Project: Adobe release AMF3 specification for Flash/Flex - Joe's SP1 #9

Roberto Saccon rsaccon@REDACTED
Fri Dec 14 03:23:22 CET 2007

On Dec 13, 2007 11:58 PM, G Bulmer <gbulmer@REDACTED> wrote:
> Thank you for the suggestions Roberto. I should have been clearer; I
> am more interested in server-push, than client-pull.
>
> > On Dec 13, 2007 7:42 PM, G Bulmer <gbulmer@REDACTED> wrote:
> >> Adobe has released a spec for Action Message Format -- AMF3
> >> http://download.macromedia.com/pub/labs/amf/amf3_spec_121207.pdf
> >>

> >> There is some helpful documents already at http://osflash.org/
> >> documentation too, but it's nice to have the definitive spec.
> >>
> >> Further, Adobe say they will be releasing BlazeDS, the Java source
> >> of the server components early 2008:
> >> http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/blazeds/
> >> Hopefully, this will include a nice test suite.
> >>
> >> So, it is becoming much easier to achieve Joe's SP1 point 9

> > I still don't agree, but let's not discuss this here again ...
> >

> >> It's not that I dislike HTTP/HTML. I agree with pretty much all of
> >> the benefits, but you can build some lovely client user interfaces in
> >> Flex/AIR e.g. http://about.buzzword.com/ and it appears to be quicker
> >> to build and test (on a range of relevant platforms) than browser-
> >> hosted JavaScript-based apps.
> >>
> >> I'd be *very* interested in an *Open Source* implementation of an
> >> Erlang AMF server.
> >
> > There are actually at least two Erlang open source implementations of
> > AMF encoder / decoders:
> >
> > eswf:
> > http://eswf.googlecode.com
> I did look at this, but the page says "Currently, eswf implements a
> small subset of Flash 8 SWF tags and ActionScript bytecode"
> Which didn't sound like it had got very far.
> Are you saying it is well along?

I was only referring to the eswf AMF encoder/decoder, which I had the
impression, it was in a good shape,  many months ago , when I was
trying it out.

> > Flash RTMP streaming server (not working yet, but has AMF encoder/
> > decoder):
> > http://erlyvideo.googlecode.com
> This is new to me. Thank you. My impression from http://osflash.org/
> documentation was that RTMP supports server-push to work with Flash
> AMF. Is that not the case?

Yes, AMF over RTMP gives you server push, so that project above is the
right place you have to wait for, to eventually get what you want

> > both projects allow you easily (technically and license-wise) to
> > extract the AMF encoder/decoder so you can put it into the Erlang web
> > server of your choice !
> I want to *push* from the server to the client, so I assume a web
> server isn't the right place to start (unless that is how server-push
> works for AMF, which is not the impression I got, so you may be
> telling me something critical that had passed me by).
>
> > If you look for a flash remoting protocol which just works out of the
> > box with yaws, and if it has not necessarily to be AMF/AMF3, then you
> > could use also yaws HaxeRemoting:
> > http://yaws.hyber.org/haxe_intro.yaws
> AFAIK, this is client-pull, not server-push. Is that correct?

yes, that is client pull as well

--
Roberto Saccon
http://rsaccon.com