[erlang-questions] process dictionary, anyone?

Bob Ippolito bob@REDACTED
Mon Apr 30 00:53:04 CEST 2007

You can represent any non-functional construct with message passing. A
side-effect is a side-effect... Erlang is clearly a hybrid language,
but it has a very useful subset that is purely functional. Much of
what I've read in the standard library is written in that purely
functional subset, and the syntax and features of the language/VM seem
like they're designed to encourage and support mostly that subset.

Using the process dictionary is a great little hack that saves you
from refactoring a bunch of code to include an extra state variable...

-bob