[erlang-questions] inets service startup

Serge serge@REDACTED
Sat Apr 14 16:11:17 CEST 2007

Ingela Anderton Andin wrote:
> Serge Aleynikov wrote:
>> Ingela Anderton Andin wrote:
>>> [...]
>>>>
>>> Well yes there is such an option,  starting it this way however will
>>> make the http-server part
>>> of your application instead of the inets application and you can for
>>> instance no longer utilize soft upgrade for the inets application.
>> I might be wrong with the resulting conclusion, yet it seems to me it
>> should work.  In order to start an httpd instance this way, it would
>> still require inets to be started.
> No unfortunately not. The httpd instance will be hung under the process
> that called start_link.

Well, that's what I originally thought before I found the
httpd:start_link/1, but in practice httpd instance won't start without
inets started even if hung under a different application's supervisor.

Extract the attached tarball, and do:

$ cd test
$ make
$ make run1

This will start httpd instance.

$ make run2

This won't start httpd instance.

The only difference in two releases is the presence of inets application.

>> Given that if you make your custom application that owns the httpd
>> instance dependent on inets (i.e. include inets in the 'applications'
>> section of the *.app file), wouldn't release handler be able to do a
>> soft upgrade of inets by restarting your custom app together with the
>> httpd instance?  Or this wouldn't classify as a truly soft upgrade?
> As the httpd instance is not hanging under the inets supervison tree it
> can not be softly upgraded.
> Restarting processes is not a soft upgrade, a soft upgrade is when
> processes are suspended new code is loaded, code_change functions are
> run and then  the processes are resumed
> and can continue where they left of.

Well, I was referring to the soft-upgrade of inets *itself*.  If there's
an orphaned httpd server hung elsewhere and inets application is started
and upgraded, would that orphaned httpd instance prevent a soft upgrade
of inets itself?

Serge