[erlang-questions] Erlang on supercomputers

Thomas Lindgren thomasl_erlang@REDACTED
Wed Apr 4 23:49:49 CEST 2007

--- Ramon Diaz-Uriarte <rdiaz02@REDACTED> wrote:

> I actually have a not unrelated problem
> (distributing number crunching
> computations on a cluster). I was under the
> impression that this might
> be a very reasonable way to go: have Erlang take
> care of distribution,
> etc, and do the number crunching in another language
> (e.g., C). Any
> specific catch?

Not that I know of, apart from the previous message.

I'm not aware of anyone using Erlang for these
purposes, so you might be on your own when it comes
down to implementation. Your data is probably just
Erlang binaries, so sending them should be
straightforward; performance could be an issue though
(e.g., data copying between Erlang and your program?).
(I wonder what performance would be like if work item
data were simply read and written as files?) But
whether this is a problem depends on the
characteristics and requirements of your algorithms.

If your algorithm needs barrier synchronization etc, I
guess you probably will have to cook something up. It
might not be too difficult to write that in Erlang.

Best,
Thomas