obscure erlang-related publication

Ulf Wiger (AL/EAB) ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Tue Mar 28 10:57:50 CEST 2006

Matthias Lang wrote:

> Wading through it all, you get to this on page 8:
>
>   | These [the results] are the results of the judgment of one
>   | or several persons for each language. In particular there
>   | were 2 persons to evaluate Erlang, 3 for C++, 2 for Haskell,
>   | 4 for VHDL, 2 for SDL and 2 for ProGram.
>
> I.e. they asked between 4 and 15 people what they thought
> about various aspects of one or more language and then put
> the results in impressive-looking tables, assigned fancy
> abbreviations and the odd greek letter before fudging around.
>
> They conclude that you can't conclude anything from the exercise.

Actually, that's not what they write:

"We have not eliminated subjectivity and we
cannot suggest a final conclusion but we have analysed
different strengths and weaknesses of the languages
and we have established causal relations between
assumptions and evaluation results due to a systematic
evaluation method. [...]

However, we have shown a way to make an evaluation
transparent and subject to detailed analysis and
discussion by making all the assumptions and
priorities as explicit as possible."

That is, they propose a method of comparing languages
that is at least somewhat more structured and transparent
than the usual hand-waving approach.

For one thing, this method allows you to wade a bit
deeper, look into their tables and evaluation criteria
and highlight the parts where you disagree, or you
think that they could manage to be less subjective. (:

BR,
Ulf W