JMS

Ryan Rawson ryanobjc@REDACTED
Tue Mar 14 21:04:28 CET 2006

JMS is an API actually - it doesn't really provide much in the way of
anything in terms of implementing or working code straight up.

Vendors like tibco (with their rendevouz product) and others supply an
implementation (usually with some kind of JNI) that allow you to
connect Java to those things.

I've used tibco for a number of years, and at our site it's ended up
not being so great.  The best thing about it, and products like it, is
you get machine-independent addressing.  As in you can say "send a
message to this subject" but you don't need to know who or where is
listening.  The decoupling sounds like a good idea, but in practice
you need to know who is consuming your messages anyways.

I would use JMS for a smaller enterprise, with < 1000 nodes.

-ryan