trapexit.org is moving

Christian S chsu79@REDACTED
Fri Jun 9 10:14:29 CEST 2006

On 6/9/06, Torbjorn Tornkvist <tobbe@REDACTED> wrote:
> It has been some discussions lately on the list about the
> slow spread of Erlang, the lack of good community web-sites
> etc. trapexit was an attempt to remedy the latter.
> Unfortunately, the response has not been what I was hoping
> for. A few heroic contributers has showed up with HowTo's
> (thank you guys!), and one person has shown any interest
> in helping out with the trapexit stuff (thanks Bengt!).
> But really, to me it has been a big disappointment.
> Perhaps it is a chicken/egg problem (small community,
> small amount of contributions); I don't know.

This just shows that creating a community doesnt mean one create
a technical solution and then the people will come. However:

My reason to comment is to again make people aware that there is an
IRC channel on irc.freenode.net called #erlang, currently 36 hangarounds.
If you can, keep an irc client connected and catch up with discussion
once or twice during the day. We're a rather silent bunch.

It is a good place to find people with similar interests to yours, so
you can get someone to bounce ideas off. If we grow large enough some
people are bound to start some interesting community projects. (Hey,
it happens with #lisp)

Also, planeterlang.org needs to be pushed too. Not too much traffic, but
also a good way to get more awareness for projects you start. Probably
the best way to reach people not yet aware of Erlang, given how blogs
get comments that spread into other language communities.