Never trust a statistics you didn't forge yourself

Marc van Woerkom Marc.Vanwoerkom@REDACTED
Wed Feb 22 15:54:49 CET 2006

>You are of course free to feel that way. I knew that I
>would upset some people
>with this study, especially the ones whose "pet system"
>has not gotten many
>votes. What surprises me though is, that I the only
>flames I got until now
>come from the Erlang-community, although Erlang has
>gotten way more than its
>share of publicity in our paper.

I am interested in any ranking of any of my pet systems,
but this goes only a finite way.

The issue here is not some ranking but scientific honesty.
You have IMHO not dealt appropriately with the answers to
your survey. Other posts here described the flaws better
than I am able to do it.

As an example that bad rankings don't cause any stirr take
e.g. the big language shootout, which is discussed on this
list occassionaly.

>Do any of you disagree, that Erlang has gotten a higher
>number of votes because of this?

I am sure if you had posted here about the survey instead
of Joe, it would have gotten exactly the same number of
votes.

Regards,
Marc