wild and crazy idea?

Ryan Rawson ryanobjc@REDACTED
Fri Feb 17 00:09:12 CET 2006

I actually disagree here.  I think the cool thing about Erlang is that
lightweight and isolated processes are _part_ of the language.  That
sending a message is a language construct and a basic part of the
language, not a bolt on.  Another important effect is the functional
nature of the language.  A major reason why I'm using Erlang is the
pure functional nature.  I believe this will naturally lead to less
bugs, as most common bugs come from constructs which are impossible or
difficult to write in Erlang (loops on arrays for example).

I'd also like to point out that "syntactic sugar" is not merely sweet,
but it can be an essential feature of the language.  For example, list
comprehensions - nothing that can't be done with recursion and
lambdas, thus strictly its syntactic sugar.  But what they give you is
the ability to more concisely talk about your ideas.  Why did Java add
foreach, why does C# also have foreach?  The ability to express the
pure concept instead of bogus things about iterators, and the like.
No, the important thing is to do something for each item of a list.
Foreach is merely on the path to list comprehensions :-)

Plus I'd miss the live code upgrades.

-ryan