Longstanding issues: structs & standalone Erlang

Douglas Philips dgou@REDACTED
Thu Feb 16 01:12:59 CET 2006

On 2006 Feb 15, at 3:12 AM, Fredrik Thulin indited:
> On Wednesday 15 February 2006 08:19, Douglas Philips wrote:
> Packaging modules/whatever that usually gets installed via some other
> packaging system like for example CPAN is _incredibly_ difficult and
> frustrating. It makes it easy to install something if you have the
> time
> to log into each server where you want that something installed, and
> run a command or two, but it makes it waay more complicated to manage
> things on a larger scale.

I don't see how you can avoid that, since you have to run the
packaging install commands on each machine, right?
Or you can image/ghost one machine and unghost it n-hundred times
with some customization (name, IP address, whatever)...
Once you have to visit each machine to install some software, you can
easily have a script that you scp in and execute.

> Yaws, ejabberd and YXA all install with "./configure; make; make
> install". That is extremely important in my opinion.

I'm not seeing this distinction, between running your three commands
everywhere or running some CPAN/E(rlang)PAN commands, or whatever.

> /Fredrik
>
> [1] Open source, but apparently not advertised. In our subversion
> repository if anyone is interested.

Yes, googling "Stockholm buildIt" (without the quotes of course)
didn't find it.
A few years ago I worked at IBM and developed a tool (in Perl) that
could produce native OS packaging for Solaris, AIX, HPUX, Linux
(RedHat and SuSE). We also used it to semi-automatically feed a
Windows NT table driven installer. So I know just how similar "all
them unix" systems really are (or were). And what a pain it is when
you have third party dependencies, and updates to same, and updates/
patches to the OS (oh, threads, sockets, etc. need OS patches, and
what not), so I am very curious to see what buildIt does!

--D'gou