Longstanding issues: structs & standalone Erlang

Fredrik Thulin ft@REDACTED
Wed Feb 15 16:36:36 CET 2006

On Wednesday 15 February 2006 14:24, Bengt Kleberg wrote:
> On 2006-02-15 09:12, Fredrik Thulin wrote:
> ...deleted
>
> > Yaws, ejabberd and YXA all install with "./configure; make; make
> > install". That is extremely important in my opinion.
>
> surely you mean that they do so on supported operating systems only?
> i usually have problems with:
> 1 ''./configure''. it does not find a compiler on mac-osx (i do not
> have xcode installed).

There are obviosuly a bunch of prerequisites to compiling stuff, the
first being to have a computer at all, and then somewhere along the
road you end up with having to have a compiler installed.

Anyway, compiling C stuff was not really what I thought we were
discussing...

> 2 ''make''. it crashes on solaris (makefiles are ususally written for
> gnumake, not ''standard make'').

Prerequisites again. GNU make is 'make' for me, in my packaging
environment. We build GNU make as part of the bootstrap process.
However, I know for a fact that at least one of the three mentioned
applications can be built with BSD make too ;)

> both these problems would be avoidable if the installation used
> erlang.

If you were in fact talking about a _C_ compiler (as opposed to 'erlc'),
then how would using Erlang for the installation work without having
xcode installed on mac-osx?

/Fredrik