Erlang Books...WAS Re: Where to get Concurrent Programming in Erlang (2nd Edition)

Marc van Woerkom Marc.Vanwoerkom@REDACTED
Sat Feb 11 13:52:04 CET 2006

>>http://www.bluetail.com/wiki/showPage?node=ErlangOnLineBook
>>http://www.geocities.com/erlang_journal/book1.html

Those look but they illustrate that you need a lot of
stamina to finish it properly.

Indeed one could write several ones.
Different difficulty level:
- computer scientist (like the original),
- one for interested newbies (like Mikael Remond's french
book)
Different focus:
- functional programming (algorithms, data structures (!))
- distributed applications
- network/telecomms programming
- database programming (mnesia, Oracle & relational
friends..)
- web application development (Yaws..)
..

This is so much, that I favour a community effort.

E.g. the PHP online documentaton is excellent, certainly
one of the reasons why it attracted many newcomers.
Have you tried http://php.net/<keyword>? e.g.

    http://php.net/array_map

They allow comments for every page, so it is kind of a
compromise between a Wiki and the statics docs where you
can immediatly add your own content.

My problem with the erlang wiki is that I got used to the
Wikimedia software (the one behind wikipedia), I post on
wikipedia if I have a bit time off and I hate it now to
switch to another input syntax. I also like the way they
organize things.

That would make creating a Wikibook an option, but I don't
like the idea that anyone could market it afterwards. (In
case of the FreeBSD project I don't mind such, because I
know money goes back to the project - but where go the
bucks that are made with wikipedia contents?)
This could be solved by running a wikimedia software on a
erlang community server. (Or by pimping up the existing
erlang wikis :-)

Regards,
Marc