[erlang-questions] Why is Erlang what it is?

Kirill Zaborski qrilka@REDACTED
Mon Dec 11 23:07:00 CET 2006

Well maybe this is too theoretical question, but nonetheless I want to ask:
Is there some explanations of current Erlang architectural features?
For example (which is the most interesting point to me) - is it possible to
make an "Erlang clone" but which will have static typing? E.g. in Haskell?
As I understand It's almost impossible in "ordinary" programming languages
where we have mutable variables which complicate concurrency a lot.
E.g. there are Scala actors library but it implements just one Erlang
feature of message-passing and as I see it's even not possible to send
messages between JVMs.
And of course we need the full power of OTP. But to implement it we need
"core" Erlang.
Are there some other issues which are Erlang-specific and play an important
role in Erlang's concurrency and which are missing here?

BR,
Kirill.