[erlang-questions] Why is Erlang what it is?

jla415 jla415@REDACTED
Tue Dec 12 10:37:53 CET 2006

Kirill Zaborski wrote:

> E.g. there are Scala actors library but it implements just one Erlang
> feature of message-passing and as I see it's even not possible to send
> messages between JVMs.
> And of course we need the full power of OTP. But to implement it we need
> "core" Erlang.

Somewhat off-topic here, but you can do message passing in the scala actors
library between jvms with the scala.actor.remote.Actor.* classes, however
the current implementation seems pretty inefficient as it basically does a
while(inputStream.available() > 0) { ... } busy loop for each connection.
Hopefully this will be fixed in the future to use NIO or similar async io
techniques