Getting locks and sharing: was RE: Getting concurrency

Roger Price rprice@REDACTED
Wed Jun 15 11:26:41 CEST 2005

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, ke.han wrote:

> Multi-core and multi-cpu system need to be supported with a single
> erlang node in order for the rest of the programming world to not
> quickly dismiss erlang.  I've read the research paper on multi-cpu
> erlang...looks promising. Is there any chance of this becoming a real
> product?

Multi-cpu Erlang is a very attractive proposition.

I bought a Dell Dimension 8400 sold as a single-CPU machine and replaced
the M$ OS with Linux.  SuSE Linux automatically installed a
multi-processor kernel, and I see the two CPUs running concurrently in
xosview.  However the total load is never greater than 1.  I am probably
blocked by a single-CPU ATI proprietary graphics driver, and maybe other
single-CPU stuff.  However these road blocks will no doubt be removed and
multi-CPU Erlang will then become very attractive.

Roger