How can i access the other header of yaws arg structure

Håkan Stenholm hakan.stenholm@REDACTED
Thu Jul 21 22:45:36 CEST 2005

MEENA SELVAM wrote:

>In this the fourth element of other header itself
>looks like a record.. that means i should look for the
>record definition of other, or is it possible to
>pattern match and get the actual IP?
>
>[_,_,FourthElement|_] = (A#arg.headers)#headers.Other

The above will not work Other should be other - as Other is a variable
rather than a atom which is required for a record field name - records
are internaly stored as tuples and all acess calls are translated to
(erlang:)element/2 calls, the use of atoms is presumably required to be
able map record fieldnames to tuple positions at compile time.

See "Programming Examples"
(http://erlang.se/doc/doc-5.4.8/doc/programming_examples/part_frame.html)
in the web documentation for a more indeapth explanation about records
as well as chapter 8 in the  "Erlang Reference Manual"
(http://erlang.se/doc/doc-5.4.8/doc/reference_manual/part_frame.html)
web page.

>[_,_,_,_,IP] = FourthElement
>

>Fourth Element of other header actually contains the
>IP address which I am interested to access.
>
>Will the above work?

I'm somewhat unsure what kind or records / data objects are stored in
headers.other but you will probably want to do something like:

%% select appropriate misc.header
[_,_,Element|_] = (A#arg.headers)#headers.other,

%% get the IP address from Element
[_,_,_,_,IP] = Element,

%% In your example you asume that the entry Element, from the misc. headers,
%% is a 5 element list containing a IP address as it's last element.
%% A personal guess would be that Element is a record with a 'ip' field where
%% the ip is probably stored as a list of integers (e.g. [127,123,100,5]) so
%% IP would be retrived as:

IP = Element#somerecord.ip %% calls element(#somerecord.ip, Element)

%% or

#somerecord{ip = IP} = Element  %% pattern match syntax that allows
retrieval of
                                %% several record fields

%% this could be combined into

[_,_,#somerecord{ip = IP}|_] = (A#arg.headers)#headers.other,

%% if you prefer to nest the pattern matching code - I usually find this
somewhat
%% cumbersome to read especially if there are several '='.
%% You could even use:

#headers{other = [_,_,#somerecord{ip = IP}|_]} = A#arg.headers,

%% or

#arg{header = #headers{other = [_,_,#somerecord{ip = IP}|_]}} = A,