Scaling TCP (was Re: Error: cannot handle extended pids and ports)

Mickael Remond mickael.remond@REDACTED
Sat Apr 2 11:04:27 CEST 2005

Joel Reymont wrote:
>>Luke Gorrie wrote:
>

>>My colleagues could probably give you some good tips on how far you
>>can make TCP scale in Erlang, I suspect it's a pretty long way..
>

> I must have taken Vance's suggestion the wrong way. He stated that Erlang
> can only handle about 255 nodes and that I should use RUDP.
>
> 255 nodes does not mean 255 TCP clients, I suppose, so I can first try
> TCP and switch to RUDP later on and if needed.

The 255 nodes figures was stated in the case you were planning to use
Erlang node distribution protocol. TCP client can scale a lot more.
A nice example of the scalability is the Yaws vs Apache benchmark:

http://www.sics.se/~joe/apachevsyaws.html

Yaws (Erlang Web server) were able to handle 80000 simultaneous users
connected.

--
Mickaël Rémond