Error: cannot handle extended pids and ports

Vance Shipley <>
Sat Apr 2 03:47:54 CEST 2005

"Joel Reymont" <> writes:
} Now, you wouldn't have a totally untested Reliable UDP implementation
} lying around, would you? :)

Since RUDP has been superceded by SCTP that leads us back to the gen_sctp
discussion.  :)

SCTP isn't really the answer for you as although the server side is easy
to provision getting SCTP support into clients is unlikely for many years.

I wouldn't try and implement a full blown RUDP in erlang.  I'm sure you
can build an application specific protocol on top of UDP fairly easily
which would satisfy your requirements.  Stevens(*) has a section entitled
"Adding reliability to UDP applications" which you might want to read.
As he points out many existing applications have implemented this; DNS,
SNMP, TFTP & RPC are given as examples.