running a replicated Orber service

Niclas Eklund nick@REDACTED
Tue Mar 23 14:49:02 CET 2004

No, I'm affraid that is not possible at the moment. It would be hard to
come up with a generic solution which can handle partitioned networks
(i.e., Orber uses Mnesia to distribute data) etc.

/Nick

> Niclas Eklund <nick@REDACTED> writes:
>
> > Hello!
> >
> > It's described in Orber's User's Guide (chapter 5.1.4 & 5.1.5). See:
> >
> > http://www.erlang.org/doc/r9c/lib/orber-3.4.2/doc/html/ch_install.html#5
> >
> > You should also check out orber:add_node/2 and orber:remove_node/1.
> >
> > When starting Orber, the NameService is activated automatically.
>
> Thanks, but I obviously wasn't explicit enough.
>
> I've read that and done it by hand -- which is why I think I can
> program what I need.  However, it's some way from a Unix daemon that
> starts up, queries other systems that might be running and asks one to
> add_node it or otherwise starts orber itself, accounting for races
> with an identical box rebooted at the same time.  I expected this to
> be a fairly common idiom, but maybe it's rare to use Erlang-based
> services like this.
>
> [Being able to provide a properly-replicated server at all seems to be
> a fairly compelling use of OTP; I've had no hint here that there's a
> Java-based equivalent, and everything has to be written in Java.]

This communication is confidential and intended solely for the addressee(s). Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you believe this message has been sent to you in error, please notify the sender by replying to this transmission and delete the message without disclosing it. Thank you.

E-mail including attachments is susceptible to data corruption, interruption, unauthorized amendment, tampering and viruses, and we only send and receive e-mails on the basis that we are not liable for any such corruption, interception, amendment, tampering or viruses or any consequences thereof.