sends don't block, right?

Francesco Cesarini francesco@REDACTED
Wed Feb 25 08:53:52 CET 2004

There are design rules
(http://www.erlang.se/doc/programming_rules.shtml) to always flush
unknown messages, logging the error. I usually go a step further and
suggest people make their gen_server code crash through a badmatch if
they receive unknown calls and casts, as they are bugs and should not be
sent. For handle info, always add a debug printout, as the story is
slightly different. Messages for ports closing, nodes going down,
possibly expired time-outs, or as I recently discovered, results from
asynchronous RPCs, and other junk might appear.

Shawn - If you are worried about a blocking parent, you could solve your
problem with asynchronous call-backs and time-outs.

Cheers,
Francesco
--
http://www.erlang-consulting.com