sends don't block, right?

Shawn Pearce spearce@REDACTED
Wed Feb 25 05:45:02 CET 2004

Chris Pressey <cpressey@REDACTED> wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 22:48:21 -0500
> Shawn Pearce <spearce@REDACTED> wrote:
>
> > Basically, I'm asking if Erlang will let the parent in this case run
> > the VM out of memory before making the parent freeze.
>
> Yes, exactly that.

Excellent, that's what I had thought, but its been a while since I
had last read that fact and/or proved it to myself by reading that
section of the emulator source code.

Not that I'd ever condone taking a node down like this.  But the fact
that Erlang will grow the buffers as needed is what I'd expect.  In
truth, my serial port 'user' processes will notice something is amiss
long before they ever put over a MB or two into a message queue.

> At least, that was my experience last time I tried anything like this.
> Perhaps try it yourself and see?

Nah.  I'm not that worried about it.  It was easier to email the list
and get a response from someone like yourself who knows Erlang better
than I, than to run a node for hours trying to fill up main memory until
the node crashes.  When you have a full 1 GB of RAM available to the node
its gonna take a while to run that test case I posted.

Thanks for the quick reply Chris.

--
Shawn.

  I'm continually AMAZED at th'breathtaking effects of WIND EROSION!!